Residence of the Chief Secretary for Administration (Victoria House)
Located at No. 15 Barker Road on The Peak, Victoria House is the residence of the Chief Secretary for Administration and one of the best preserved colonial-style buildings in Hong Kong. It was formerly the official residence of the Colonial Secretary, before the post was renamed Chief Secretary in 1976 and then Chief Secretary for Administration since the establishment of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region on 1 July 1997.
A colonial neo-classical two-storey building set in beautiful gardens, Victoria House is constructed mainly in reinforced concrete with a granite base and is covered with glazed pantiles. It is presently occupied by Ms. Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor GBS, JP, and previous tenants have included Ms, Anson Chan Fang On-sang and Mr. Henry Tang Ying-yen during their time in office.
The house is situated on the site of the main block of Victoria Hospital for Women and Children, which operated from 1897 until its closure in 1947. The hospital was built to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria, and a plinth recognising this fact is still visible from Barker Road. The maternity ward building remains today and is used as accommodation for senior government officials.